Transportation in Cebu
What to Expect
Getting around an urban/rural jungle such as Cebu can be such as hassle if you don't know your way. if you're the hardcore traveler, you'll have fun in the chaotic transport system that Cebu has to offer( Though way better than what Manila and probably India have). However, if you're like travelers that comes from first and second world countries, then you'll probably be disgusted with the system to the point you might be discourage to go around Cebu instead.
But please don't.
Cebu with all its marvels have a lot to offer to travelers that muster enough courage to go around the island[read other sections why]. Hopefully with this guide you'll have no problems finding and squeezing your way around.
Things to note when you're on the road driving, riding or walking
- Cebu, like most other regions in the country have a different way of looking at traffic lights. Here Green means "go fast" , Yellow means " go faster!", while Red means " You have 5 seconds to step on it!" So don't be surprise when you see a red light, and cars are still passing you by.
- Majority don't follow the pedestrian lane and often jay walk. if you're driving( if you're new to the Philippines, i suggest you don't), be careful of these people.
- Everyone swerves in traffic.
- Unlike most countries where honking your car's horn is seen as a sign of rudeness, in Cebu, its totally normal, and sometimes even encouraged to avoid accidents. Cars honk their horn to let pedestrians and cars changing lane that it is coming.
- Better to be a defensive driver when driving the streets of Cebu, side mirrors are often side by side to other cars in times of heavy traffic.
- Jeepneys, a major public transportation in the Philippines (See futher notes) will just stop at the side or even at the center of the road when they see a passenger wanting to ride.
- Peak hours are from 7 to 10 am in the mornings and 4 to 8 in the evenings.
Better watch out for people like him, jaywalking even though there is clearly a skywalk right behind him.